The Burnley Campus was first established as the School of Horticulture in 1891 under the auspices of the Department of Agriculture, after earlier development of the site and gardens by the Royal Horticultural Society of Victoria. In 1983, the then Burnley Horticultural College was amalgamated with Department of Agriculture colleges to form the Victorian College of Agriculture and Horticulture (VCAH). In 1997, the campus became part of the University of Melbourne’s Institute of Land and Food Resources and finally incorporated into the School of Ecosystem and Forest Sciences in the Faculty of Science, in 2014. In 1897 the school was one of the first Australian institutions to admit female students, over time producing many talented graduates including Edna Walling, one of Australia’s foremost landscape designers.
Teaching and Research
The Burnley campus is recognised internationally for its expanding profile in green infrastructure research and development. The University delivers a range of high quality horticultural education, research and training opportunities from short courses and professional development programs, through to undergraduate and postgraduate coursework degrees and training by research at Master and PhD levels.
Reflections of Burnley
We acknowledge the Wurundjeri people of the Kulin Nations as the traditional owners of the land on which the Burnley campus stands and pay respect to their Elders, past and present.