Initially assembled in 1991, the Burnley Archive Collection is full of materials relating to the Burnley Horticultural College and its subsequent ownership by the University of Melbourne.
Now known simply as the Burnley campus, we’ve been teaching horticultural courses here for a variety of educational institutions since 1891, with the site first put aside for the Horticultural Society of Victoria in 1860. In 2015, Burnley campus marked 125 years of continuous horticultural education, an international record.
The archive was initially assembled for the teaching centenary of the College, and to form a research source for the publication Green Grows Our Garden: A Centenary History of Horticultural Education at Burnley, by A.P. Winzenried (Hyland House, 1991). The archive is comprised of materials that date back to the 19th century, including the College's official records (principals' administration records, registers, student attendance books, alumni deposits, student club documents etc.), examples of student projects, photographs, news cuttings, maps, plans and films. It also contains artefacts such as ploughs, leadlight windows and jodhpurs.
For further information about the collection, or to request access, contact Jane Wilson: email@example.com.
Read about the launch of the School of Horticulture in The Argus (August 15, 1891)