The University of Melbourne's Faculty of Science, Burnley Campus, has had several name changes but was best remembered as Burnley Horticultural College. It has been teaching horticultural courses for a variety of educational institutions since 1891, although land was first put aside at the site for the Horticultural Society of Victoria in 1860.
The Burnley Archive Collection consists of over 50 metres of material that relates to the Burnley Horticultural College and its subsequent ownership by The University of Melbourne. The archive was initially assembled for the 1991 teaching centenary of the College and to form a research source for the publication, Green Grows Our Garden: A Centenary History of Horticultural Education at Burnley, by A.P. Winzenried, Hyland House, 1991. The Archive is comprised of materials that date back to the 19th century including the College's official records (principals' administration records, registers, student attendance books, alumni deposits, student club documents etc.), examples of student projects, photographs, news cuttings, maps, plans and films. It also contains artefacts such as ploughs, leadlight windows and jodhpurs.
The Science Library, Burnley is the enquiry point for requests by students and members of the broader community to view materials held within the Burnley Campus Archives. Access is by appointment only.
For further information on the collection and requests for access contact Jane Wilson at email@example.com